Sunday 14 June 2015

'Whoa, how do you pack so light?'


I am quite a minimalist whenever I travel. Although I feel like I've packed a lot, m bag will somehow, always be light. Even I surprise my mum (sometimes even myself) on how light my bag is ! Its been quite an amount of times that when I travel with my friends with my luggage/backpack, they would always go like, 'Is that it?', 'What is inside it?', 'How do you pack so light?' or even, 'Is that enough?' 
So, here's a few tips on how to pack lightly (and maybe even look pretty decent at the same time!). Hope this helps :)

1. Always roll your clothes
Never have I been disappointed whenever I roll my clothes when I pack. They amazingly save a lot of space which leaves you with more space to pack in everything else ! 

2. The right tops 
My sister thinks I still dress up pretty decent although I backpack. And even though both of us carry 10 tops and 3 jeans, my bag still weighs lighter than hers. This tip only applies when you're travelling in sunny countries. Just pack, blouses ! They're amazingly light, dry easily when washed and makes you look pretty decent in pictures especially when you're taking those beautiful pictures. Beyond that, they're pretty cooling (so you'd probably sweat less). Although, try not to pack blouses or shirts that needs ironing. 

3. The right pants 
I usually bring along only 2 pair of jeans (which I would wear one when I go on my flights), 1 pair of leggings and 'beach pants'. If you have extra space, just throw in a couple of pants (or my trick would always be white pants), to look a bit more elegant-ish. They're really all you need ! You really don't need to bring tonnes of jeans or trousers.

4. Even for months or weeks of traveling only pack ...
Always pack minimally. Constantly remind yourself that the weight is going to be a burden whenever you have to carry your backpack around. For 3 weeks of backpacking, I only brought along 10 tops, 2 jeans, 1 pair of sports shoes (incase I randomly decide to go for a jog), a pair of sandals and slippers. You really don't need to pack tonnes of shoes, just pack the most comfortable pair of shoes !

5. If you're wearing hijab 
Definitely, bring a black scarf. Then throw in 2-3 of your favourite coloured scarfs, and maybe just 1-2 patterned ones incase you get bored of plain colours or randomly feel like dressing up a little. Try not to bring the thick ones :)

6. Laundry !
You really don't have to bring a proper laundry bag like the ones you use at home, all you really need is just another ordinary plastic bag. Also, try to bring a laundry detergent from home in a small bottle. But try not to bring the liquid detergent as it would be a bit of a hassle when you go through security or check in your bags. Always do your laundry whilst packing so you wouldn't have to pack a huge amount of clothes

7. Make up maybe ?
So sometimes us girls, wanna look good in close-up pictures, and sometimes we are just somehow rather attached to our make-up set.  All you really need is your basics so try not to waste space by packing more than your moisturizer, eyeliner, primer, foundation and powder :) 

8. Bring what you need, not what you want to 
Every time when we want to throw anything into our bags, we have to ask ourselves, do I really need it ? Is it really that necessary ? 

9. Repack your toiletries
Repacking your toiletries into the small travelling bottles saves up loads of space and will definitely make your bag wayyy lighter ! Try to buy the light and fast-drying travel towels as well as some accommodation won't provide you with towels (and some charges you extra)

10. Bringing an extra small bag
Make sure they're the fold-able and really light ones. Atleast you would have a small bag to walk around with once you've checked in your huge backpack/rucksack/luggage in your accommodation. 

If you follow this right, your bag should only weigh up to 10-12 kgs only. That's how heavy my bag usually weighs whenever I pack (even if it was for more than 2 weeks of travelling). Good luck !  






No comments:

Post a Comment