Saturday 25 April 2015

Why did I travel alone ?

So recently I've been asked many times ,
Why did I travel alone ? And why was it Macedonia, Serbia, and Kosovo to even start with ? 
Honestly guys, 
I think it's more of my personality and the way I enjoy my travelling. It's never to try to impress anyone or rather just something I wanna tick off my bucketlist. 

I am genuinely a person who likes my own space and loves spontaneous adventures. I definitely enjoy meeting new people in strange new places. I believe the people I meet along the way & their stories makes my life more interesting. I quite like planning where to go a day before or at that moment itself sometimes, which most of the time, can only be done when you're travelling alone :) [Not to say I've never had a planned holiday]

First off, "Why did you go alone? "
I like being with my own thoughts at times. And I believe the way I travel can not be adapted to how most of my friends enjoy their travelling. They say "People who you're friends with aren't necessarily the same type of people you would enjoy to travel with". And as for most girls who like to over plan their travelling, I enjoy pretty much just going with the flow. On the other hand, most guys stereo-typically think that when they travel with girls, there's just too many limitations. Well, it doesn't really apply to every girl does it ? Especially girls who are independent and can take care of themselves. And instead of waiting for everyone else, why not just go by yourself and meet interesting people along the way ? :)

They say, "I mean like, I'm not trying to be a sexist but, you're a girl, is it safe?" 
How often do you guys here girls getting kidnapped or raped just simply by travelling alone ? I'm not saying that it is highly unlikely but girls most likely get sexually abused by going to clubs rather than travelling alone. And there are ways to travel safe in order to prevent the worst case scenario. Beyond my interest in living life at the edge, life can never be too safe, as it won't be considered living at all to even begin with :) Just be street smart and very aware of your surroundings ! Always try to move in groups.

Then, people were like, "Why Serbia, Kosovo and Macedonia?"
Frankly, I was just grabbing tickets online back and forth from Malaysia for my brother's wedding and was supposed to just transit a couple of hours at Serbia. Then my parents whom are avidly into travelling, pitched me the idea to transit a couple of days if possible, even if it was gonna cost a bit more. Called up the agency, paid in a couple of pounds extra and next thing you know, I was on my first solo backpacking trip around the Balkans ! My dad told me to just go Serbia but I knew I wanted to see more parts of the Balkans. So, I proposed to him the idea of where I wanted to go and stay with the hostels and he was like 'Yeah, okay. Just be safe. There might be problems with immigration a bit there though'. It was initially supposed to be just Serbia and Kosovo but Macedonia came out spontaneously the morning I was in Prishtina, Kosovo when I met a couple who was going down to Macedonia. Beyond that, I love history and these places have so much knowledge of history for me to learn from ! It's good to travel to such countries anyways. Reminds you a little bit about the reality of the world, that not every country is as fortunate [especially studying in the UK] & you'll pretty much appreciate what your surroundings more. 

Then they go like, "Oh, you're crazy ! They're war torn countries ! And you're a Muslim, wouldn't you get discriminated?"
Heck yeah I was discriminated. I tried wearing my scarf walking around Nis and taxis stopped only to give me rude nods, leaving me to walk around under the rain alone. Took off my scarf and next thing you know, taxis were even honking asking if I wanted a ride. I genuinely am not that strict on my scarf either; as in I just try to wear it as often as I can but I'm at the phase where I wanna do things beyond limitations such as travelling alone in these sorta countries. Beyond that, I am definitely a proud muslim by heart. 
Food was also very difficult for me to find. I took up the challenge of trying to eat vegetarian for a couple of days since Halal food was nearly as impossible to get, and it was not as easy as it seemed. Lost 2kgs throughout the trip ! And there were even days that I only ate a 'Filet O Fish' Burger. 
Yeah, they're a war torn country. So there are certain topics you would have to avoid talking about to the locals. But beyond that, they were very nice and friendly !

"Do you think everyone should have their own experience of solo travelling?"
Well, not necessarily. Never force yourself to do something you wouldn't enjoy, especially if it's gonna cost you a lot. Although getting out of your comfort zone is good once in a while, some people just don't like the idea of being alone or even just travelling alone. So chill guys, you don't really have to :) Only do it if you know you'll enjoy it and if it's an experience you'll know its worth a lifetime ! Even if its just a one time thing

So, "Are you going to travel alone again anytime soon?"
Heck yeah, I might do it again soon ! I gotta love the vibes and adventure of travelling alone. I do wish to try couch surfing and hitch hiking soon though so that I reckon would not be as safe to do it alone. Although, I am very tempted to just go for it. Guess we'll just have to wait and find out don't we ? 


Will be writing a post on my personal tips on 'Backpacking for Dummies like Me' and 'Tips to Travelling alone' !


No comments:

Post a Comment