Friday 24 April 2015

Nis, Serbia

Nis is apparently the 3rd biggest city in Serbia, with only 300,000 population !
Its quite a nice place to chill at but most historical sites here can be covered over a day's trip.


Took a 3 hours bus from Belgrade to Nis 1250 dirhams ; roughly about 8Euros at 8.30 AM . The buses are quite frequent back and forth but its always a good idea to check out the schedules just to be safe. Oh yeah , btw , I took the Nis Ekspress bus incase you got curious.




Anyhow, I stayed in a hostel, the 'Day N Night' Hostel; which took me about 15 minutes walk to the city but had a really great service. Met a really awesome backpacker from Korea; who's been travelling all the way from Korea to Serbia passing through Northern parts of Europe all without a flight tickets; only through buses, trains, hitch hiking and has been staying through couch surfing as well for a couple of times. He's been travelling for about 7 months already ! Pretty cool eyy ? 

Moving on... Here's a couple of places highly suggested to visit here at Nis ! 






The Nis Fortress was beautiful ! It was definitely a great breeze walking in the park while checking out historical monuments. Some close to my heart; like the abandoned mosque in the last picture. Anyways, I met these 2 school girls earlier when I asked their help to take a picture of me at one of the monuments and they decided to accompany me whilst my trip around the fortress.




The Skull Tower. The cab to the 'Skull Tower' took me about 2 Euros from the City Center so make sure you don't get tricked ! I took the local bus to the City Center with the help of the lady in the picture; she works as a tour guide for most museums here in Nis. The flat rate for the bus rides is 60 dirhams which costs only roughly half an Euro. 








Took some time by walking to the Nazi Concentration Camp Museum from the City Center as well the next day. I gotta admit, was a bit frustrated as half of the exhibitions were closed down due to renovation purposes. Hmmm. 


Took a stroll around the markets near the Nis Fortress as well in the morning just to check out the local scene


Then chilled at the famous street preserved with local culture ; Ulica Kovanlucka if I'm not mistaken. Am really sorry that I've forgotten the English name of the street. But its a whole alley filled with cafes for everyone to chill ! 



Randomly checked out an Orthodox Church I saw by the road side which looked really cool from the inside :) 

So yeah, that was pretty much it from Nis that one can actually check out. The places to visit might not be as many as Belgrade or Novi Sad (2nd biggest city of Serbia), but it was definitely nice to come and chill. The other reason why I came here as well is to discover Prishtina in Kosovo the next day.

Although there's an app strongly recommended when you come to Nis, the 'Nis Talking' which gives you a guide to nearly almost everything in Nis, I decided to walk around without a map since I haven't really been a phone person. Got lost for about an hour with the huge back pack ! Worst part was, I haven't changed my Euro currency to Serbian Dinar so I couldn't hail a cab ! HAHA


Finishing off this post with an epic accidental mustache selfie at the entrance of the Nis Fortress !

No comments:

Post a Comment