Friday 24 April 2015

Prishtina, Kosovo

Took a bus from Nis, Serbia to Prishtina, Kosovo for about 4 hours and decided to stay in the night at the 'Han Hostel'. Pretty much one of the best decisions I've made throughout the trip and you'd know why soon :) Anyways, the location of the hostel was pretty much perfect ! Behind it is 'The Boulevard' as most sight seeing is done at both the ends of the Boulevard. 

 

Prishtina, Kosovo can definitely be covered within a day's trip. Met two Irish guys travelling around as well from my hostel and they even said, "The top things to do in Prishtina is even just observing the monuments which is done within seconds". But I made sure I was gonna come here cause I really wanted to see how a new country looks like from being war torn. Not bad eyy ? 


It's a 'NewBorn' Country, Kosovo. They just got their independence from Serbia in 2011 and there are still political conflicts between both countries; especially immigration borders. 










There's not much of a difference, the culture here compared to Serbia. But you could see mosques and church distributed almost everywhere here whereas in Serbia there's only 2 known mosques. So, I guess you could say Kosovo is more diverse and 'accepting' but there's definitely more attractions in Belgrade.  IF you've pretty much covered the whole Prishtina within a couple of hours, just get a frequent bus (every 20 minutes) to Prizren for about an hour and a half. A couple from the UK that I met in the hostel I was staying in suggested me to do so but I decided to go for a spontaneous trip with another nice couple I met the night before to Skopje, Macedonia :)

Anyways, here are some tips whilst travelling between Serbia and Kosovo that you definitely must know ! 
1) You can travel from Serbia to Kosovo but not from Kosovo to Serbia directly without getting a chop from the Serbian immigration so you would have to go through another country; possibly Macedonia or Montenegro. Its nearly impossible to go to Serbia from Kosovo if you've never received the chop
2) Good luck trying to ask Serbs on 'How to get into Kosovo' from Serbia or asking directions for the buses heading to Kosovo. Bus drivers got pretty mad when they found out I was asking them and sort of pushed me (not literally) to the information counter, again in Nis. So, try to be street smart and try to avoid talking about Kosovo to any Serbs whenever unnecessary as they somehow hate Kosovo. Really. 




No comments:

Post a Comment