Sunday 9 April 2017

Lawyer or Entrepreneur?


Last weekend I went to my first Career Fair with 15 copies of CV in hand, looking for companies I would have interest in, and the moment I was there my friends that I haven't seen for long were asking me questions like,

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be doing business full time?"

"If your passion is doing business and you have an income from it, why are you applying jobs for any of these companies?"
"You could try a few years working at one of these companies, but do you really want to?"
"I wouldn't apply for other jobs if I have a business that is growing and is sustainable, why are you applying for jobs?"

After wandering around, I only started submitting my CVs having to tell myself on the 3rd round of walking around the fair,

"Come on, you came all the way to London wearing your 3-inches heels carrying an overnight bag, you have to give this a try, you wouldn't even know if you suddenly would enjoy working for one of the companies here"

And so I did, went around asking if they are employing anyone with legal background,



and submitted my CV to TNB, UEM and a few other firms I felt that I could relate my interests with. Also a few banks as I kinda like Econs and ofcourse, anything in relation to learning the art of money!

Through my experience at ZulRafique I realised that I grew interests in the corporate side of law as I spent the whole month plus of my internship in it, so I knew that I wouldn't mind working anything in relation to it.

Visited Lincoln's Inn in my first year and I don't remember much memory of the place or the event today so it could possibly mean that I genuinely had no interest in being a lawyer that goes to courts ("practicing law") or maybe it was too early in to figure out, so I should probably give it another try?


But then a year into law school, I started venturing myself into the world of business. Having to go through growing my business as I was doing my internship, I didn't know what I was doing. I was working to grow the brand after I was interning my 9-5. And I did not complain, only having my mum knocking on my door for subuh and suddenly hugging me saying,

"I haven't seen you the past 24 hours. I want to spend time with you, you're going back to UK after this"

I will always remember that morning, hehehehe it was cute Ma.

But people have been asking me recently, how is it that I do work with my final year and balancing it all out? Never thought that "If you love something, you wouldn't think of it as a job but as a passion" would apply to me, but I felt as if that statement was the one that I could relate to most. 

I loved how there was a profit out of every idea I executed ! I love how Entrepreneurs have to walk the talk in order to achieve the goals for their business, meeting new people with their own success story have never been more exciting ! I like how my creativity and energy can be fully utilised for something that I could see growing and the art behind entrepreneurship have never been more interesting. I even reading books on successful entrepreneurs and prominent business figures. Beyond all that, I love how people love our cookies :) (There's just so much more to love about doing business la easy to say...)

I never complained that there was too many tasks to do for The Skinny Bakers (but I didn't complain much either while I was interning in the law firm), and I figured that I love the art of learning !



I think I loved learning so much that I became adaptive and I look forward to everything I do in life! 


Okay, getting out of bed can be a struggle in the morning still sometimes, I'm not that pumped/excited everyday.... BUT it means its harder for me to decide what my passion is ! Knowing what I feel would be worth working for everyday cause I love learning from everything I do. 

Here's the BIG question I've been getting from almost everyone recently,

ARE YOU GOING TO BE A LAWYER OR AN ENTREPRENEUR OR ARE YOU EVEN CONSIDERING BOTH?

And as curious they are with the answer is as curious I am to find out myself !
So don't be surprised if there's no exact answer to it, cause I'm still figuring it out :)

I've been praying that He would guide me through and to the right path, but have been working hard on every opportunity given to me now, whether its excelling as a law student or working on growing my business.

But ofcourse I am only a month plus away from graduating so I'll spend more time on getting my law degree, you get my point tho riight ;)

I've got plans here in Europe and UK till end of this year before I can return to Malaysia to find out which path I'll take on,



And I guess,
Only time can tell :)


Any thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment